Friday, January 18, 2019

Progress January 19, 2019

Life moves on, sometimes in unexpecteed ways. Right, a cliche. But still. How often is it that I get bronchitis, go to urgent care, receive a prescription and the next day receive a call from the pulmonologist reminding me I have a yearly  scheduled appointment the next week.?
And how often does a woman I met at the Slo Walkers group share with me the name of another friend of hers who is also a child of Holocaust survivors?
Faye just phoned me. After discussing her heritage, she described a trip she took in 2006 with her adult children to Ukraine to research her parents' history. She provided the name of the researcher who assisted her. Alex Dunai, but when I went to his website, Google warned me off with many pages of warnings not to connect any further.
I wrote to Faye, asking if she has his email address and I friend requested him  on Facebook. We shall see what develops.
I attended a book group at the Cutler Plotkin Jewish Heritage Center last night because Nancy Siefer was leading the discussion and I respect and admire her from book group discussions at Temple Emanuel many years ago. The book is Rose Tremain's The Gustav Sonata..I haven't read it, but to me, after listening to twenty folks reporting on it, I felt it describes anti-Semitism before the war, subtle but omnipresent, an active second movement awareness of this time Swiss anti-Semitism during the war when they are asked to admit refugees escaping from parts held by the Nazis, and the final movement, called return, suggesting life returns to the more subtle non-inclusion of Jews as it was before. I could be all wrong, but my idea fits with what I know about Switzerland and how they related to my family.
Larry Bell runs the AZJHC and Nancy suggested we speak about my book and the possibility of presenting it there. I will drive down now to deliver him two copies and a membership application to join the Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment