Friday, September 30, 2022

More God Discussion September 30, 2022

A being or spirit that is worshipped, shown reverence and adoration,  and is beieved to have created the universe.

That''s the Oxford Dictionary definition of God. .

The pushback to someone like me who finds reverence and beauty in nature is called a pan-theist. Someone who clearly states they believe in no god is an atheist and a doubter is called an agnostic. 
When things go well for me, I sometimes say "Thank God"
I have heard believers curse "God damn it" asking for someone they dislike or an action to be cursed. When someone sneezes, I say "God bless you."
Who am I calling out to?
In Judaism, it is said that "God does not want to be believed in, God wants us to be inspired to choose the right path, to be kind to others, to leave this earth a bit better than we found it."
However, if I say " OK< I can do that,." the answer I get is "What kind of audacity do you have, to think you alone are responsible for the successes of your studies, good works, happy outcomes of your wishes and desires?
No one, me included of course, wants to be seen as a narcissist, the center of all actions, wishes and desires. But when we make good  choices and our goals are reached, why isn't it enough to feel proud of our accomplishments, always knowing there is more to be learned and done to make the world a better place.
I have no big powers, like washing away the causeway to one of my favorite places, Sanibel Island , yesterday. The Hurricane did that. Did God cause the hurricane? Were the combinations of wind and water and temperature enough to explain the huge natural disaster? Did some being or spirit determine whose house shall remain standing and whose business be demolished?
I do have a bit of audacity, "chutzpah" in Yiddish, to believe God resides in each of us and as we realize our potential, as we listen and learn and help others and appreciate our gifts while acceptinng our defeats, we replicate in ourselves and each other the spirit of a larger community objective, we are all Godlike and worthy of reverence and adoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment