Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday, October 29, 2011

I always grapple with what’s below the surface, in my thoughts, in the news headlines, in the content of what I happen to be reading. Having just returned from a visit to the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park and the San Francisco Peaks, of course I am more than ever aware of the insignificance of each of us and all of us in this vastness of earth that surrounds us here in Arizona. We also visited Sunset Crater, which is less than one thousand years old and indicates anew that volcanic eruption will continue in the millennia to come.

So why worry? Be happy, as the annoying song goes, “Don’t worry, be happy.” Smiley faces abound, yellow and cheerful. I had a wonderful time, a unique experience, and a new experience to be away from home without Bob. I am so fortunate that Steve is here to visit when I am away, giving me a sense of freedom I would not have, had we remained in New York three years ago and not purchased our home in Arizona.
What is also amazing is that had Bob and I visited Zion National Park by ourselves, my experience of it would have been severely limited. I saw the Tauck Tour buses roll in to the Lodge and disgorge their mostly sedentary tourists who had three hours to eat lunch and to walk the two- mile- paved riverside trail which requires no extra clothing, hiking shoes or other equipment. We might have been among them when we tired of European travel someday. Again, because we moved here, I walk more, I train more frequently at the gym and I am in sufficient physical shape to clamber up the switchback trails on a mountain! Life changes, life changes me and the result is not at all completely negative; it’s just so sad that Bob is ill

No comments:

Post a Comment