Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tension November 4, 2012


The drama, tension and conflict are interspersed with humorous one-liners that invite the audience to let out its collective breath by giggling at something absurd, but only momentarily. I sit silently attentive for more than two hours as the story I already know plays itself out. Is it the music, the fast pace of the action, the simultaneous superimposition of two scenes on two continents or is it our collective desire to be held in the suspense, to escape from the problems of our lives and dive into the more exciting, life-risking adventure of patriotic countrymen caught in harm’s way?
This is really a description of how I felt as I watched ARGO, but it also describes how I felt glued to CNN before, during and in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy. Instead of feeling glad I am safe in Arizona, I wanted to be in New York, experiencing the storm, which sounds to rational me to be an absurd desire. But if I were there, I would know how my friends are faring, I could offer assistance if needed. Here I am safe, but I feel separate from the action. Gladly everyone with whom I've spoken is managing, with or without power, sleeping in the lobby of a building instead of walking up 14 floors, having a small generator blow up because too much use was attempted, enjoying the free bus rides and generally feeling upbeat about the city. Even folks in New Jersey feel that the repairs will provide jobs for many people they know, although we are all saddened by the loss of so many memories at the Jersey shore.
I wish you all the best as you recover from this huge trauma, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment