Thursday, October 9, 2014

How Do You Get Yourself Up from the Doldrums? October 10, 2014

When I am feeling low, I usually pretend that everything is fine and I push myself to accomplish my daily living tasks and goals. I go on "automatic pilot" as it were to get me through my day. I save myself from feeling terrible by not feeling much at all. Sometimes that works. I call it "acting as if all is right."

When I begin to recognize that I am not caring what I prepare to eat, merely grazing from the refrigerator or from the pantry shelf, that I am choosing the same shirt and pants to wear without caring to coordinate an "outfit," that the "to do" pile of mail is piling up because I really don't feel like doing anything, I just stop.

I find a book to read, I ignore my friends, I sort of go into hibernation-wallowing in my doldrums.

Sometimes I am "rescued" from myself by someone who needs me and by helping another I feel better.

This time I lifted myself up through "creature comforts." The store with the twenty per cent coupons had a sale on really soft bath towels--so I bought one. My son exchanged my regular shower head in my shower with a new one that sends the water cascading directly down, rather than at an angle that was too high for me to really enjoy-and I bought new sheets for my bed! 

We all feel sad or depressed or stuck in a routine sometimes and we need to fiind some small pleasures to perk us up. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment