Sunday, April 8, 2012

100 words for Sunday, April 8, 2012


It’s Saturday night and I’ve just returned from the second Seder, full of wine, food and good feelings. I love Passover, the cleaning, the cooking, the melodies, the story of Exodus repeated, forever connecting me to my People and our past. I hosted eleven family and friends last night; Laurel and I made a pact. She would not bring food to my Seder and I would relax at theirs. It worked perfectly. Last night was a child-friendly event, tonight just adults having serious, traditional fun, celebrating that famous tenet of Judaism—they tried to kill us, they failed, let’s eat.
And today I am so tired from all the feasting, cooking and cleaning, I spent the day reading the New York Times. If you get a chance, read the Review section. There are several deep articles about religion, the future of our democracy in the world, parenting in France and here in the US and even opposite gender friendships.Lots of food for thought.

I found my husband's  eyeglasses yesterday which had been missing for ten days. Someone at the memory care unit had "returned" them to his bookcase, where I had looked every day. Unfortunately, they are without temples, vandalized. So, either we will be able to replace the temples or the optician will be able to read the prescription from the lenses and make him a new pair. He needs the transition lenses he had, as he forgets to remove the sunglasses I brought him when he re-enters the building and then cannot see where he is going.I so wish I could bring him home where he has his own belongings, his own food, but he would not be comfortable and his need for constant attention 24 hours a day could not be met.

No comments:

Post a Comment