Thursday, April 12, 2012

A Humbling Experience Thursday, April 12, 2012

As I attempted to make medical appointments for myself this morning,"Excuse me, I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you just said," I stumbled over and over again as I found myself asking the appointment schedulers to repeat themselves, and when they did, I realized each was confirming the information about me already on their computer screen. Am I no longer capable of understanding familiar speech?
Is this how my husband who has Alzheimer's disease hears the world with people talking at him, asking him questions and he not able to process the information? It's not often we get to experience the world as others might. I for one, go about my business confident that the information I hear is processed correctly and my responses are appropriate to the task at hand.
It is an amazing recognition, an opportunity to be empathic to the needs of others. And we don't even need to be disabled, hearing impaired or demented to share this confusion.
All we have to do is to move to Arizona or any other part of the country away from New York and try to understand the rapid pace of the city from afar.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment