Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tuesday Science News May 1, 2012

Happy May Day everyone. I have happy news to report for all of you who know someone afflicted with Alzheimer's disease but do not have direct possibilities of contracting the illness yourselves.A report in the April 24 issue of Neurology, printed in today's N Y Times Science section reveals once again that physical activity is associated with a decreased risk of Alzheimer's disease. The subjects were cognitively healthy seniors, average age 82. The first good news is that in this sample only 10% contracted the disease during the four year study.
The study's point hoever, is that those in the lowest 10% of physical activity  were more than twice as likely to develop Alzheimer's disease as those who were physically active.So once again, please avoid the tendency to be couch potatoes and walk--park further away from the store; every kind of physical activity counts to keep those neurons reproducing and keep that blood flowing so the blood vessels stay open!
My husband however, never liked to exercise. When we moved to the city, he walked a lot, but he was already in his 70's and more comfortable in a library or a theater than outdoors.
Speaking of the city, I have to share how wonderful my son and my friends are, visiting Bob in my absence. When asked by Sue if he sees his wife much, Bob answered "A bit." So he's not missing me, he's active, he's well cared for and I am truly blessed by an excellent Arbor Rose Memory Care facility and a super support group. When asked by the staff if Steve was my substitute caregiver, he replied, "I am the caregiver's caregiver." Who could ask for more???

No comments:

Post a Comment