Friday, August 24, 2012

Diamonds August 24,2012

As I entered the memory care unit yesterday to visit with my husband, I overheard him arguing with the staff member working at the computer. I approached and he used the same annoyed tone with me,"How did you get here? Where did you come from? Get them to let me in there to sleep." Then he visibly changed his mind, hugged me and asked,"Can we get out of here? Now?"
"Bob, do you know who that is?" asked the staff member. Bob ignored her. "Let's go," he repeated."Do you know how to get out of here?"
When he was settled in the car, he asked sweetly, "Could we go and see some tools?"
I drove this time to Ace Hardware where an employee greeted us warmly and told us where to find the tool aisle. As we entered the aisle, Bob smiled broadly, spread his arms wide and said, "Diamonds." I looked at him quizzically and he exlaimed,"Like a woman in a jewelry store, I love it here." Since Steve was not with us to show Bob the different tools, he picked them up himself and showed them to me, the hammer with the "sharp end," the black handled hammer, "It's all wood," the "beautiful collection" as he told the clerk.
Then his attention shifted to the kitchen tool aisle and he focused on a set of peeler and paring knife. He held the package to his chest and said, "I think I have to have these."
"Just like in the jewelry store," I reminded him, "we are here to look and not to buy." He put the package back only a bit reluctantly and we left the store to let Grant show Grandpa how he plays his first song on the cello.Bob was soon ready to return home for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment