Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's been an interesting and busy week. I participated as a co-leader in my new Alzheimer support group. The leader, Alica has now taken a full time job, so I probably will inherit the group; either way it will be interesting. Steven found a very informative newsletter online and sent it to me--www.agingcare.com. There are practical tips on everyday problems and one which is really neat. A GPS in the shoe of an Alzheimer diseased person who wanders!That's much more civil than an implanted chip and easier to have with the person than a bracelet or a pendant.The site allows folks to post a question and receive responses from other readers.
I spent several hours this week re-reading the manuscript of the book I have written which tells the story of my transition to caregiver for my husband as he began to have difficulties which led to his diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease several years ago. I hadn't looked at the manuscript for a few months as I am a bit discouraged by how hard it is to get a book published these days. But it is a good book and now I will devote more time to self-publishing it!
Meanwhile Bob's skills are diminishing further. He is having problems locating the bathroom when he needs to use it. He doesn't seem to be bathing regularly, at least he smells like he hasn't showered or brushed his teeth. His conversational skills are poor, but we hold hands and swing on the glider peacefully. It's important for me that he smell better.
So I contracted with the care manager for more hands-on supervision of daily living skills, of showers twice a week and removing his soiled clothing from the room each night, so he can't use it again until after it has been laundered. I really don't want to move him to a memory care facility where the residents remain in the dayroom together all day unless I try everything else first to keep him at Sterling House, where he knows where his room is and he is familiar with the routine, even when he refuses to participte in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment