Sunday, January 15, 2012

100 Words for Sunday, January 15, 2012


Being good to myself changes. Some days, including Saturday morning, being good to me meant being active, registering voters, going to Temple services, speaking with others about my new book. But then my body made me rest. In the afternoon, I sat down to read and promptly fell asleep for several hours. I revived and watched the Gloria Steinem interview program I had ‘previously recorded.’  Never before had I realized she is only four years older than I. Ms. Magazine, Bella Abzug and Betty Friedan were my role models in my development as an adult woman. Women’s liberation, right on!
Back then, I needed new role models; my mother's way of life, living for her husband and her family and volunteering her time for good causes was unavailable to me. My husband had left me for another woman; I was raising a 12 year-old,a nine-year-old and a four-year-old by myself with few financial resources. I had to learn to see myself as head of a family, professionally trained and ready to enter the world of work.
I garnered strength from the women's movement; I joined a consciousness-raising group where we discussed our roles and our ambitions.My resilience in the face of adversity came then, as now from my grandparents' story; they survived imprisonment and exile during World War II and survived to tell the tale!. Every time I feel defeated, their experience reminds me that "I can do this."
This morning I received a call from my husband's niece; they want to visit Uncle Bob.Tomorrow we will visit together. I am so glad they are interested in visiting with him and meeting me. This road is a lonely one.

No comments:

Post a Comment