Sunday, March 25, 2012

100 words for Sunday, March 25, 2012

Support group meeting at Arbor Rose is stimulating, invigorating and comforting. I don’t disturb Bob as he is peacefully watching television. Driving home, I feel sad and lonely. I have no plans for this evening; Friday night services offer little appeal as I attended last week, alone in a crowd. I phone my daughter; they are invited to her former in-laws for dinner. Shall I search online for a movie to attend? Surely I can. While choosing between “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen” and “Footnote,” Martha rings on Skype, wanting to see a film. Settling on “Footnote,” I feel better.

It was an interesting Israeli film concerning the relationship between father and son; at least it didn't concern Alzheimer's disease. When I went to see the Iranian film, "The Separation" I was not expecting to see the grandfather incapacitated by this disease that I deal with everyday.In that film, the conflict existed between the couple because the husband did not realize how much effort his wife expended to care for his father. Although they were secular Muslims, the husband expected his wife to perform without any thanks, praise or even acknowledgement of her efforts. I understand both sides; it is difficult to change long established customs and beliefs and even more difficult to recognize the severe disabilities of one's parent.
I spoke with the families of residents at Sunrise Senior Living in Scottsdale this week about the problems of visitation and taking their loved ones out of the residence for an outing; this afternoon I will address questions about normal aging with the Tempe chapter of the Jewish War Veterans. Visit my website www.phylliswpalm.com for complete address and times of my book presentation events.

No comments:

Post a Comment