Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Interesting Observations Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In Sunday NYTimes Magazine there is a weekly One-Page Magazine section with a column written by Judge John Hodgman. This past Sunday's column concerned collections. My husband was an inveterate collector who specialized lately in collecting and sharpening knives and scissors. He also collected clothing which even without the usual East coast change of seasons, I sort through every September. I remove what has been outgrown or outworn during the past year, with my rule being "If it hasn't had a useful function for me for the past two years, donate it to someone who can make good use of it."
I sort through my clothing and fill several bags to donate. I see a box on the top shelf of the closet and open a container of Bob's clothing . Surely he has not looked there for the past two years. I find, stashed among the too-short shorts and pocketless t-shirts, a plastic bag full of large multi-tool pocket knives!
As I read Judge Hodgman's column I laughed at his bottom line;"Remember: the difference between a collector and a hoarder is a display case."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment