Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Transitions Tuesday June 12, 2012

June is generally a month of celebrating transitions, graduations, weddings in which I plan to participate. For many of us due to the loss we members of Temple Emanuel of Tempe have all suffered, the transition from being alive and vibrant one minute to not being here the next is also on our minds. For me the transition from East to West, from New York and my professional life to Arizona and my family life feels very special. I feel blessed by the warmth of the embrace I felt in my synagogue family at the SAJ in New York and delighted by the warmth of my reception back in Arizona.
My children and grandson Grant greeted me at the airport from where we all met working-college-grandson Austin for dinner.
And today, Bob looked up at me from his seated position, rose and inquired, "Who are you?"
I answered in my best rabbinical way, "Who AM I?" and he hugged me as he said, "Phyllis, my darling wife. I am so happy to see you. I love you so very much." Turning to my son, he said, "And you're her son. Now let's get out of here."
We spent the afternoon happily doing my transition chores which luckily for Bob included visits to Staples and Wal-Mart. I am so amazed at my son Steve who is so patient with my husband, showing him tools, naming them and eliciting from Bob how each is used. Steve and Bob converse about the size of the tool as well, which one is too heavy or too light for the purpose they discuss. Bob is happy to be with us and also happy to recognize his home when he arrives back to his welcoming, comforting care facility family.

No comments:

Post a Comment